1) NO BRUSHING or FLOSSING OVER SURGICAL SITE(S) for 6 weeks. You may brush other areas.
2) APPLY ICE GENTLY OVER SURGICAL SITE at 10 minute intervals for the first 24 hours (except during sleeping).
3) NO PRESSURE OVER AREA and AVOID MUSCLE PULL for at least 3 weeks:
- Don’t look, touch, lick, or massage the area;
- Don’t sleep with hands under the cheek where surgery was done;
- Don’t play wind instrument, suck on straws, blow balloons, or spitting;
- No smoking, chewing tobacco, cigar, pipe or recreational marijuana;
- No heavy lifting, extraneous exercise, snorkeling;
- No clenching and teeth grinding. If you are a heavy grinder, a night guard will be required.
- Do not eat crunchy or sticky food that can get stuck on or in between your teeth.
4) RINSE with prescribed Peridex oral rinse only with lips apart: SLOSHING only. No Chipmunk cheeks when you rinse. Don’t use cotton swabs, Q-tips, or any soft or hard object to clean area.
5) DO NOT BE ALARMED ABOUT SOFT SWELLING OR BRUISING for 1st week. Expect cold sensitivity for 6 weeks or longer. DO REPORT sensitivity during check-up appointments. Call or text Dr Shi IMMEDIATELY at (917-640-8262) if you have unexpected pain, continuous bleeding or heat from surgical site.
6) Pain Control: Most patients report no pain after the procedure. But if you experience pain, you may take Motrin or Tylenol.
7) Patient MUST return to our office at the following intervals: 24 hours, 1 week, 3 weeks and 6 weeks after the procedure. After the 6th week you may brush surgical area with special extra soft brush for 6 months.
8) During the healing period, you may accumulate heavy stains on your teeth. Don’t be panic as we will clean and polish your teeth at your 6 week follow up appointment.